I asked: “I am looking for a tool that will let the ISV’s customers an option to enable an environment by themselves with a back office for its administrator to control the different customer accounts. For example for an e-learning environments that will also include rules that are created by the ISV’s administrator on the total hours enabled for a single formation (cluster).
Amazon AWS answered: “We have several partners and customers that built e-learning solutions on AWS, but they are all very specific to their product/internal needs. Your description may need to be developed accordingly. As AWS is fully API based, and you have SDKs available to every development environment including .Net, most of your code will be quite generic – (similar to the way it will look on any other platform) and will just use the specific API commands to activate the needed functions within AWS.”
As this is not the ISV core competency, Amazon answer didn’t really satisfied me and I found myself wondering around looking for tools to easily deploy applications over the Amazon AWS cloud and found about 10 tools or bit more that can mostly monitor and maintain the cloud environment. Most of those applications (tools) didn’t really supported an option to deploy a complex/robust applications and the followings are the most 5 best ones I found and can suggest -
- RightScale - Maybe the most experienced vendor to manage AWS. RightScale Cloud Management provide capabilities like design, deploy, and manage applications across multiple public or private clouds. RightScale have a strong relationships with Amazon AWS. Upon all of those the ISV need to engage with their development team and a professional services effort will be included.
- Cohesiveft - The application provide and option to build custom application stacks for virtualized infrastructure; stacks that are loosely coupled, vertically aware, and comprised of multi-sourced. I am not sure about this one as it seems to provide a complex deployment tools. http://www.cohesiveft.com
- Scalr - Scalr monitors all your servers for crashes, and replaces any that fail. To ensure you never lose any data, Scalr backups your data at regular intervals and uses Amazon EBS for database storage. Sclar include simple capabilities and good UI for fast applications deployment.
- Scalarium - The application support LAMP applications and from the demo it looks nice and simple. I am not sure about auto-scaling though they declare that they do support that. I suggets to check their tour.
- Enstratus - Seems to be the most usefull “sign-up & play cloud tool” that gives you “single pane of glass” to put you in full control of your cloud platforms including monitor, auto-scale, auto recovery, auto backup and SSL certificates maintenance. The system UI is friendly in relation to the other systems in this article. I suggest to try their free trial. http://enstratus.com/
Bonus application: Simplified - “The cloud Security company” delivers a very nice product that the ISVs need to be familiar with. The application delivers identity and access management solutions. User provisioning in an extended enterprise-to-cloud architecture must provide identity synchronization. Simplified products support enterprises with universal single sign on that works across SaaS that are deployed on public and private clouds. Check their overview video to understand better.
I find that this market is very young and lack with supporting the ISV (as the major IaaS consumer),with basic capabilities that will help easy, fast and more importantly - cost effective deployment to provision its applications.
More about this subject: